An ITIN is assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals which are a tax processing number for the individual tax payers. ITIN applications needs to be filled on Form W7 and one must be very careful about this and need to know properly on how to apply for ITIN. People may do some mistakes that need to be avoided while applying for the individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN):
- Not only the resident alien earning income in U.S, even those who will be appear on a tax return as a spouse or dependent can also apply for ITIN in order to claim exemption. There must be a separate application for each tax payer, spouse and dependent children.
- The tax applicants must need to fill the W7 form This means that all lines on the form must be completed properly. In case you don’t have any information to write on the form, mark “NA” and don’t do the mistake of leaving it blank.
- The applicant have to submit original documents of passport, birth certificates or any other certified copies of these documents b issuing agency along with your application for IRS ITIN. Any Notarized copy of documentation will not be accepted.
- If you have citizenship for more than one country, then you should list both the countries with a slash between them. So, you have to write down the full names of the countries without abbreviating. However, the form will allow listing of two countries.
- While we fill up any form, we mainly write our birth dates on Date/Month/Yea format but in case of W-7 form, all the dates must be write in the format of Month/Date/Year style.
- Form W-7 also asks for the proof of your “foreign status” or “identity”. So, submitting an original valid passport (or any certified copy from the issuing agency) is enough to prove it further. If your passport has been expired or you are unable to submit it, then you have to submit atleast two of the original documents listed on the requirement lists among which one document must have your photo.
- If you are filling the form of an applicant who is under 14, it must be signed by the guardian or parent from his or her behalf. In such case, the name of the guardian or parent must be written on the form where it will ask for the “Name of the delegate”. Also, not to forget to mark the relationship of the applicant on the right hand side.
ITIN application needs to be filled very carefully and with diligence so that you would not face any problem or risk of rejection of your application. So, it is better if you could take the Acceptance of the agents or tax experts sp that you would not face any trouble.